Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Round 2 Reboot - 5's Day 5

Great workout today. I did eight squats at my previous best of 205 lbs. and it felt great. I don't think I'll have any problem doing 215 lbs. next time and beating my personal best, then perhaps going even a bit higher. It would be awesome to be doing squats with two 45 lb. plates on each side of the bar. HUGE! :P

Also matched my personal best at bench, doing 195 lbs. for six reps. This didn't feel as strong as the squats, but I'm pretty certain I'll be able to do 205 lbs. on day six for five and set a new personal best, and hey, a 45 lb. and a 35 lb. plate on each side of the bar isn't horrible.

I laughed at two things today:

1. After the awesome squats I jumped on the calf machine and on my first rep of 145 lbs. BOTH my calves cramped up! I need to eat more bananas, or stop doing jump roping on my non-lifting days (I did cardio yesterday, followed by about 3 and a half minutes of jump rope).

2. My goal for both squats and bench is to be working out with my body weight, which I'm a ways away from, but I was stupidly happy this morning when I realized that hey, at least I'm working out at my ideal body weight! That's not bad right?!? :P

Actually, I'm no longer sure what my idea body weight is. I have two free personal training sessions and a free evaluation at the gym I should take advantage of and get some opinions on where I should be. I have the feeling my body weight should be anywhere between 205 and 220 lbs.

In other parts of my workout, I did my personal best on Clean and Presses, working out with 120 lbs. I'm back up to 135 on incline bench, and should have no problem doing day six at 140 lbs., then going beyond that. Cool. Deadlift, I'm still only doing 180 (this is another exercise I should be doing at body weight), and I'm not super happy with my form, so I'm still not pushing this one too fast... perhaps a couple sessions with a personal trainer will help my form. My goal was to be doing 45 lbs. dumbbell curls for biceps, but I'm not going to make that, as I'm still not able to do more than five or six reps at 40 lbs. This might be different if I wasn't doing a bunch of back exercises first and wearing out my biceps. Speaking of back exercises, I'm having no problem with any of them; I'm on track with chest crusher, seated pull-ups wide and normal grip (this one I do my body weight), and seated rows (did 190 lbs. today for nine reps in very good form, so I'll probably go past my personal best of 200 lbs. on day six and then a bit beyond, cool). But regular assisted pull ups, I'm not quite hitting my goal of five reps at 50 lbs. assisted (I did four), so I'm not even doing my ideal body weight yet :(. Just gotta keep at it.

Good workout. Very happy with most of my progress. Now I gotta eat some bananas and blue berries so I don't cramp up next time!

Weighed in at 137 lbs. today.

No comments: