Thursday, March 19, 2009

Round 2: HST Day 4 and 5

Okay, so the new routine is proving to be extremely intense as I enter the second and final week of 15's. I was barely able to finish 15 in about half of my exercises, lunges being one of the really difficult ones (I do these last after squats, deadlifts and clean&press). Chest starts out pretty easy with bench, but rapidly gets harder as I go through dumbbell chest, incline bench and finally dubmbell incline chest. Behind lunges today, clean and press were the most intense, followed by dead lifts, as they use a ton of different muscle groups. Assisted pull-ups were perfect, as I hit 15 as I'm just starting to hate them. I go up a notch (actually down 10 pounds, as they are assisted) for the final day of 15's and I'm excited to see if I manage to pull them all off (or should I say "up" :P).

I meant to do a set of regular machine pull-ups (I generally do wide-grip), but I forgot... just added that to my work-out chart so next round of HST I include that exercise. I did do a new exercise today, twists and wood-choppers I believe they are called, where you hold a cable and twist your body around to hit your core muscles (mostly abs). They were cool. I've been doing barbell twists, but they feel a little funky and in comparison these cable twists feel more natural. In general, I feel like I need to mix up my exercises for different muscle groups more so my body doesn't have a chance to really adapt fully to any.

Post work-out, I had some very yummy frozen blueberries that I got at Costco. I drop them in a glass of water and they are a bit like eating ice cream. They are actually really good, tasting better than any fresh blueberries I've ever had. Go figure. I went to Costco last weekend to pick up more, and I did, but it's a different brand. Hopefully they'll taste as good as this last bag. On day 4 I also had a banana, but it will have to wait until I get to work later to have one of those as I'm out at home.

I'm now taking Whey before and after my workout, then a combo mix during the day (a back of mixed kinds of protein I got at Costco) and finally some casein protein, which takes longer to digest, before I go to sleep. I've found I'm recovering faster with this mix, but I've also been sleeping more, so not sure if I can credit the new protein mixtures completely.

My weigh-ins the last three days (did Day 4, then a light cardio day yesterday, then Day 5 today) were all around 233 lbs.

Oh, and I went to the doctor yesterday for a check-up and he said my blood pressure (which I forgot to memorize) was REALLY good. I'll be doing some blood screens a few weeks, so we'll see how those are, but since I've always been good, I'm hoping that will still be the case. At the doctors office I weighed in at 232 for some reason.

No comments: