Saturday, January 17, 2009

Boring: 2nd Day HST

I'm going to start adding "Boring" to the tittles of my work-out logs, so anyone who happens to be reading this (which is probably no-one) will know to skip over these posts because they are pretty much going to bore you to death.... Lifting, dieting, HST, blah, blah, blah.... :P

My second HST lifting day went off pretty smooth. I think I've divided my exercises up just about right, including splitting Squat days and Lunge days up, because this morning I was all gung-ho to do both on the same day (even though the plan I put together said otherwise), but when I actually finished my lunges, I remembered why it was wise best not to combine them... my legs were shaking and I still had Dead-lifts to do (which use a lot of the same muscles as squats). Yeah, I'd have to say that Lunges were by far the most challenging of the exercises today, but I'm guessing that will change as the weights on all the others go up. Perhaps next time around I need to adjust the percentages on the lunge exercises, because if they are this hard to do 15 on the second day, I have no idea how I'm going to get through the last day of 15's on my sixth day!

In previous HST plans I had a hard time with assisted Pull-ups where my max weight at 5 reps did not correspond with my max weight at 15 reps. Basically, the formula I use where I find my max 5 rep rate and then drop 5% per workout down literally to the first day of 15 reps didn't work because I simply couldn't do 15 assisted pull-ups at the weights I came up (well, maybe for the first few 15 rep workouts, but not for the last half). But I made an adjustment this time around that seems to have done the trick. I've dropped 6% per work out from the max rather that 5%. I'm finding that while I can already feel the Pull-ups (so they are not too easy), I also feel like I can keep adding on weight for awhile and still do 15, which is how I feel with pretty much all the other exercises I'm doing, except maybe lunges. We'll see how lunges go and if I have the same problem, I'll adjust them down 6% next time around too.

Oh, I kicked off today's workout with 5 minutes on the elliptical at level 16. Not sure why level 16 feels a ton harder than level 15 (15 doesn't feel that different than 14, or even 13), but it is. So of course, that's my new challenge; to get comfortable with level 16 and have that be my normal workout level.

I forgot to weigh myself again this morning. I know I'm around 138 or so, but I need to measure this on more than one day to get an average, especially given the variance in water weight I suspect I have (or had?). I'm going to get my work-out plan out right now and write a reminder at the bottom to jump on the scale at the end.

Still in ketosis. Need to buy some more ketone sticks. It's funny, I did low-carb for a year or more before I discovered ketone sticks, and I did just fine, so I know I really don't need them, but good lord they are fun to check on a regular basis. They're sort of like Daily Affirmations, which I'd post a link to on Youtube, but I can't find the Stewart Smalley ones (stupid copywrite!).

No comments: