Thursday, January 22, 2009

HST Day 4

This morning's work-out went great! I think my body has mostly adjusted to low-carb now and not using the NO-Xplode feels much MUCH better. About half an hour before going to the gym I had lots of water (need to rehydrate after a good night's sleep), a cup of green tea (two bags), and a small serving of Wheat Germ mixed with one scoop of vanilla whey protein (about 20 grams of protein). Then, I took 8 BCAA capsules (4.4 grams of BCAA and 200 milligrams of caffeine) right before walking out the door.

Started this morning with a 5 minutes warm-up on the elliptical machine at level 16, and then after putting on my work-out gloves, walked over to the main free weight room where I realized that there were a LOT more people working out than usual, like probably twice what you would see on a normal day. I looked at my lifting chart, saw I was starting off with barbell bench presses at 40, looked up to find those weights and a bench to do them on, and found that they were already taken. This was my story for the entire work-out today; check chart for weight, and then wander around trying to find it or a machine that was not already taken. For most of the lifts I was able to improvise, like I used 25 lbs plates to do my Arnold Dumbbell Press , but in a few cases I just had to wait for people to finish, which was annoying.

Hopefully, today was a fluke and there won't be this many people at the gym in the mornings in the future. It will also help as I get to the second half of my HST lifting plan, as the weights I use will go up and therefore not be the ones EVERYONE else also wants to use too.

Anyway, no problems today with my lifting plan except for two exercises:

1. 15 Lunges (which I did with 25 lb. plates in each hand rather than dumbbells) was fucking hard! Not looking forward to my next lunge working.

2. Palms Down Wrist Curls hurt a little so I stopped at 13 reps. I hurt my right wrist a few weeks back while trying to put spin on a bowling ball using muscle rather than leverage, and it hasn't quite healed yet. It's mostly doesn't bother me, but when I started to feel it towards the end of this exercise, I figured I'd listen to my body and hopefully avoid an injury.

Beyond that, everything went very well. I left the gym almost wanting more, but I know better than to push it. And hopefully my legs won't be destroyed again from the lunges and I'll be able to do some cardio tomorrow.

Random thoughts:

I love Wheat Germ. On a low carb diet, this stuff does a great job of not only giving you a good amount of protein and a feeling of fullness, but it also helps keep you regular. I highly recommend mixing Wheat Germ in with your morning protein shake.

I really like having some carbs in the form of fruits right after my work-outs. I generally eat a banana and some handfulls of blueberries. This much fruit does not knock me out of ketosis and I think it helps my muscles recover faster than they would without any carbs. And in general I recommend eating blueberries, as they may not only help you physically, but they may also help you mentally too! Check this blueberry article out.

I forgot to check my weight this morning. I'm such a dumbkoff.

No comments: