Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Supplement mixing

I've been taking No-Xplode as a supplement on an empty stomach about 30 minutes before my workouts for over a week, but today I decided to skip this stuff to see if I noticed any change, and I found that my work-out went a little better. It's hard to describe, but I just felt more connected to my body and less head-rushy when my heartrate went up. I originally thought the problem was my switch to low carb, but thinking back, I'd couldn't recall feeling quite this way ever before, and after reading an article on how you shouldn't mix NO-Xplode with caffeine, I decided to try skipping it today. My work-out, even though I was a bit tired, felt a lot better. I'm not sure why that is (could be a one time fluke - I'll know for sure after a couple more work-outs), but I'm guessing that it is in part due to the amount of caffeine in No-Xplode, an amount which the manufacturer won't disclose. Yes, you read that right, they actually refuse to say. This is actually what their website's FAQ says:

"Q: How much caffeine is in N.O.-XPLODE™?

A: The amount of caffeine in N.O.-XPLODE™ cannot be disclosed due to the fact that it’s part of one of the proprietary complexes that make up the complete N.O.-XPLODE™ formula, namely the Ener-Tropic Xplosion complex, which contains methylxanthine, a specific form of caffeine."

Seriously?!? You won't say how much caffeine you put in your supplement which I'm taking in the hopes of improving my work-outs and ultimately my health? Wow, well fuck you then!

Yeah, the way it was making me feel was a little like when I've had too much caffeine, which is possible given that I often drink green tea to wake up before my work-outs and take a BCAA supplement that also has caffeine added, which definitely give me a nice pump, a pump people also describe getting with NO-Xplode. But yeah, perhaps twice the pump is not a good thing! Still, I'm not sure it was that exactly. But I do know that whatever it was that was making me feel kinda funky during my workouts, I definitely wasn't enjoying it, and it definitely went away when I didn't take NO-Xpode. And given the totally unhelpful data on the manufacturer's web-site, I'm probably never going to know if it was the caffeine or not, but I do know that I'm never buying this stuff, or any other BSN product, again!

Boring work-out-log-stuff: This morning I did 10 minutes, five forward and five reverse, on the elliptical machine at level 16, then about 2 minutes at 3.4 mph and 14 angle on the treadmill, but I got off the treadmill when I could feel my leg muscles were still tired from yesterday's sprints. I wanted them to be somewhat rested for lunges on day 4 of HST tomorrow, so, I moved over to the stationary bike and did 10 minutes at level 9 to 11 on that instead (which brought my heart rate up to the mid 130's, perfect!), followed by two minutes of jump-rope, two minutes of high intensity jumping-jacks and 20 straight front leg-kicks (the sort of sprinting exercise to top everything off, but which you want to do in a room by yourself because you look silly doing them).

Today I was exactly 238 (down a little from the 238 1/2 or so on the previous days).

No comments: