Saturday, January 24, 2009

VERY Boring: HST Day 5

Had dinner and drinks with C and J, joined by N later just for drinks, two nights ago, and consumed some carbs in beer and Chinese Food form, but I was pretty good. Drank a bit more than I should of for a work-out day, but didn't go overboard, and felt fine enough yesterday to hit the gym hard for some cardio, 10 minutes on the elliptical at level 15 (yes, I dropped down a level), then three sprints on the treadmill at 14 angle and 3.2 mph walking and 9.0 mph sprinting. I actually did the sprints sooner than usual, starting at 4 minutes, then doing the next at 8 and the next at 12... I almost decided to do another sprint at 15 or 16 minutes, but figured I shouldn't push it; there is a fine line between pushing it and going overboard so that you can't work-out the next day.

Finally, I finished off my workout with a couple minutes of jump-roping and jumping-jacks (100 of the later - not sure how many minutes of the first because the class-room was full and I had to do these in a corner without a clock). I'm still having a hard time doing the single leg jumping-jacks, but I'll get there.

Oh, I called in sick yesterday, as I really was bleah in the morning, but my work-out cleared the cobwebs out and I felt good afterwards... at least until we spent four hours at the DMV getting our licenses and attempting to get the car registered. Since she'd only been out of California for a couple of years, she was able to renew her license, but I've been gone longer, so I had to retake the driving exam, which I am happy to report I got a perfect on. Unlike most places, they don't make your license then and there, so I have a print-out temp. license and the real one is supposed to come in the mail at some point. I say we attempted to register the car because after two hours waiting in line and doing paper-work, it turns out it financially makes more sense to just sell the damn thing with out-of-states plates still on it. Waste of time.

Afterward, we ran by the Apple Store to see if they would replace my iPhone with a cracked screen, and they won't. I'm going to try asking an old friend who apparently works at an Apple Store in Palo Alto if he can do anything, but I'll probably have to live with it or find another route to get it repaired.

Last night we went over to T and L's place for dinner and drinks. P and R met us there too, and we had a... well, lovely time. Fun conversation, not entirely about video games either, good food, the girls got along great and we took a look at their rooftop deck which was awesome. Hopefully, we'll be hanging out with them more.

Of course, I again ate carbs, in fact I positively splurged when they served a fudge cake with ice cream on top. Definitely a cheat day. So I made sure to really hit the gym hard this morning on my 5th HST workout day.

It was crowded at the gym again, but I managed to work all the exercises in. Only did 5 minutes at level 15 on the elliptical, as my legs were still feeling yesterday's sprints. The assisted pull-up was perfect, where I"m just starting to find the last couple hard, the clean and push was great in that my core was really feeling it, and the squats felt very nice. I'd meant to do front squats today, but I plumb forgot. Maybe next time.

I wrapped up with 10 minutes waling at 14 angle and 3.2 on the treadmill, doing a minute of really long strides at the end, and this really go my heart rate up. Then I got on a bike to wait for E to finish her Yoga class. On the way back to the apartment we ran into a girl that lives on our floor, and we introduced ourselves to Kate.

The big bummer is that my wireless headphones seem to be dying. I can't get the base unit to charge anymore :(. I need to figure out if I can mix and match one of the other pairs I have in because I really don't like having wired headphones on at the gym (they get caught up on everything).

Weight today 236 (down two pounds... felt a bit dehydrated today, so I'm guess this is a combination of water-weight lost and the fact that I was wearing all nylon, which is lighter than the sweaty cotton shirts and underwear I often have on when I weigh in). We'll see if this weight lasts for a few days.

No comments: